top of page

STAR (School Tax Relief)


New legislation requires all homeowners receiving a Basic STAR exemption to register with the Tax Department in order to receive STAR exemptions in 2014 and subsequent years.


STAR exemptions apply only to school district taxes. 
They don't apply to property taxes for other purposes, such as county, town or city.


Beginning with the 2011-12 school tax bills, the savings resulting from the Basic or Enhanced STAR exemptions were limited to a 2% increase over the prior year.



Two Types of STAR Exemptions

Basic STAR

  • Available for owner-occupied, primary residences where the resident owners' and their spouses' income is less than $500,000

  • Exempts the first $30,000 of the full value of a home from school taxes

Enhanced STAR

  • Provides an increased benefit for the primary residences of senior citizens (age 65 and older) with
    qualifying incomes

  • Exempts the first $65,300 of the full value of a home from school taxes as of 2015-16 school tax bills
    (up from $64,200 in 2014-15)




Shareholders who have received Basic STAR tax relief are automatically renewed for the following year,
provided that the shareholder is still occupying the premises. Accordingly, there is no need to reapply.

Those that qualified for Enhanced STAR tax relief must reapply each year. Shareholders, which have been awarded a STAR or an Enhanced STAR tax credit, will receive a monthly reduction in their maintenance.
Valley Park will apply this credit as received by the county towards the shareholders account over a 12-month period commencing every December.


Please keep in mind this tax credit can only be applied against maintenance charges. 


Those shareholders that have not applied for STAR or Enhanced STAR tax relief must submit an application by December 31st. to:


Nassau County Dept. Of Assessment

240 Old Country Road 4th floor

Minneola, New York 11501


You can click here to download a Basic STAR application.


Both Basic STAR and Enhanced STAR applications can be obtained by calling 516-571-1500.


bottom of page